St. James is one of Simcoe's Grand Old Churches.
No one living can recall when it wasn't standing.
But it is not that old, was not always United, nor was it always St. James.
In 1840, the first Methodist Church in Simcoe was a frame structure built on the spot where the present chuch stands.
In 1860, a new brick edifice was erected to take its place.
This church was burned in 1896.
In 1897 a new church was erected in its place with a large schoolroom attached at the rear.
In 1920, the church was again restored after another fire.
Meanwhile, the choir was organized in 1917.